View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 04:58 PM
gregbradley

I had an FS152SV with 3 inch focuser for several years. A beautiful scope.

The best visual views I have seen in any scope.

It excels best as a visual instrument as for astrophotography it does have some false colour. Probably correctable.

Its quite light for a 152mm refractor. It cools off fast.

All in all a wonderful scope. I sold mine to help fund a TEC180 which was very good for astrophotography.

Having said all that I wonder though if these cheaper lanthanum and FPL 53 or 51? scopes from APM would be just as good.

There is also a high end fluorite doublet from Agema Telescopes that claims to be better corrected than many triplets:

https://www.agemaoptics.com/telescopes/

A TEC140 may do just as well visually as I had a friend who had one and in discussing views his TEC seemed to show a bit more than the Tak which surprised me.

I also had a Celestron NPC 11 at the same time. Yes it will show fainter objects but the views are not as pleasing as the Tak.
So I would put the Tak above a C11. The view through a TV Nagler 22m Type iv at a dark site was my most memorable view and another time at around 2am I viewed Jupiter and the view was very clear. I think the seeing was superb at the time as well.

I imagine it holds a fairly high price given its a Tak but it would have to be kept in line closer to a TEC140 which is a more multi purpose scope or this new APM scope (I would expect the APM to go for maybe 60% of the Tak).

A TOA 150 would outperform it but its heavy, front heavy and often sold for some reason. Perhaps the weight and balance is the reason. But a TOA 150 is arguably the best 150mm scope out there. I only got the FS152 because the TOA hadn't hit the market at that time and was brand new.

Back around 15 years ago I bought it new and paid I think around AUD$9K?? Perhaps a tad more. I sold it for about $7K about 7 years ago to someone in NZ.

Greg.