Thread: I have a 40D!
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2009, 04:55 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
agree with others on benefits of liveview with 40d, particularly for widefield imaging. laptop focusing works fine for scope work, but the ability to travel lite is often important for me with widefield work.

the other important factors in favour of modding the 40D are that it has no amp glow, whereas the 20D does in bottom right corner. smaller pixels of the 40D are also better suited to widefield. sampling on 20D holds up fine for scope work. noise/sensitivity between the two is very similar.

so it depends on your primary astro imaging purpose (scope vs widefield) and how much you want the 40D for daytime astro work.
Thanks for your thoughts, Phil.

It was your recommendations that pushed me over the edge to make the impulse buy I can't wait to try it out under the night sky. Hopefully this weekend - though I just realised RB has my timer remote so that's going to make it tricky LOL.

I'll have to use the infrared remote and stand there clicking the button every 5 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
Hey Mike,

Very interested in what you think of Remote Liveview - especially for framing shots. I asked the guys at Canon Research to consider offering a parameter to slow down Live Views frames per second (I think 3 fps is its slowest - I'd like it to go all the way down to one frame every 30 seconds - in stops).

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this camera.

Matt
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - except at home in the loungeroom, so I'll definitely share my thoughts once I've tried it out in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
PS

I was sitting at your desk today for a while - at 3 in St Leonards! I noticed the IIS sticker and asked who used to sit here and was told Mike Salway, but we think he's moved on.

Small world - I guess you aren't at what is VHA now - even though you are still in the directory?
LOL that's a classic!

I worked for Hutchison for a couple of years and then worked at Ericsson Managed Service (still on the 3 project) for a few years.

It's been almost 2 years since I left! So I wasn't part of VHA. I wish they'd bloody take me out of the directory, because emails to my old hutchison email don't bounce!