View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Volans

G'day Muddy,

I would think that it might be a touch difficult to get a fully manual digital camera for around the $700 mark. You will probably be able to get a good digital with some manual control but not full manual control - eg. the bulb setting.

If it is at all possible for you to afford the extra money then I would suggest the Canon 350D. I simply cannot rate this camera any higher than what I have done previously - ease of use, great all rounder the list goes on.

Below is one of the first astrophotography images I have ever taken. Shutter Speed 30" ... Aperture 3.5 ... ISO 800 ... Focal Length 18.0mm. I just set the camera on the tripod, put it on the longest exposure I could (I didn't have a cable release then) and pointed the camera in the general direction of Scorpius. Getting the foucs was a bit hard because of the cloud but all in all I was impressed with how easy the thing is to use. The other shot is to give you an example of a day time image which was taken on full automatic mode. Camera on tripod...point and shoot.

As I said, it is expensive but oh so well worth it.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scorpius.JPG)
60.7 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (stbp.JPG)
86.1 KB26 views