View Single Post
Old 14-12-2008, 02:11 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I found using my aftermarket speedlite flashes for both canon and nikon cameras that I could use the flash at up to 25m range and still have decent illumination... Failing that, as Phil mentioned, you could set up a couple of aftermarket flashes to be run as slave flashes, and mount them closer to the action, that way, no matter how far away you were, the flashes would be from a short distance away, ensuring good illumination..

Ian is right, a faster lens will help. as will a tripod. However, for the type of photos you were attempting, I dont think that a tripod is the best option.. Yes, it will eliminate camera vibration/shake from the equation, however if your shutter was less than 1/40th of a second, any movement of the subject (Ie, People dancing) would blur reguardless of the tripod.

Faster lens and/or aftermarket flash is the way to go here.. I took many shots with my 300mm F/2.8 indoors or low light (From the sidelines at the football night matches etc) and found that the 580EX flash coupled with the fast aperture of the lense allowed me to take great photos of full pace action..