View Single Post
Old 16-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Paul Haese

I routinely do 30 minute subs and I do it to get my background ADU up over 3000. I do this with my 102TSA and for my RC12. My thinking here is that the signal strength is more important.

It is not true that doing shorter subs is all you need. It all depends on what your objectives are for a given imaging project. If you are using tight narrow band filters you will need to go very long to get the signal up. Mathematically you can work out how long you need to go for a given aperture and sensor combination. Ray has had several threads on this and those threads are informative. Though I still prefer to go deep myself.

So back the original question. I use Tpoint to get my PA very tight. However I have seen Pete use Alignmaster and it is very fast from what I have seen. Drift aligning is good too but if you want to go deep then it might take an hour or so to get it good enough. Again it all depends on your objectives. This hobby has varying levels of precision requirements and it is up to you to decide what level you want achieve.