Thread: Helix Nebula
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2021, 10:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Leece View Post
Thanks Alex, i use the 2 star and polar alignment routines on the hand set but have never found out what is a good or bad reading. the one below was the readout for this particular night.
i know there are other methods to polar align but they cost
i don't have a permanent setup, but i do run off the mains, so power isn't a worry.
i only have a motorbike so a dark sky sight is out of the equation
Cable management is cool as i only have 3 to worry about.
Is the weight bias you refer to so the motor is pushing slightly against the weight as opposed to holding it back?
Yes postage is in the lap of the gods atm mate. i hope it all comes very soon.
Thanks for all your help mate

Attachment 276918
Tony,
I have used the Synscan Polar Alignment routine for 4 years and get below an arc minute each time
Your Azimuth and Altitude ( Elevation ) readings on the handset are in Degrees/ arc Minutes / arc Seconds
Example: Az 000 05 18 and El 000 10 25
So Azimuth would be 5 arc minutes and 18 arc seconds
and Elevation would be 10 arc minutes and 25 arc seconds ( which both are way off in regard to polar alignment)
For good tight polar alignment you really want to be below an arc minute on both Azimuth and Elevation ( an arc minute is expressed as 000 01 00 )
So an example of good polar alignment would be say 40 arc seconds on both Az and El expressed as 000 00 40 ( but in reality you can never get Az and El the same but the closer the better )
Attached is my Synscan polar alignment routine I put together a few years ago to help members on IIS
Hope it helps
Cheers
Martin