View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 05:50 PM
astro744

My 16” Dob is on a dob trolley and stored in a backyard shed. I wheel it out to observe and back in when finished. I only observe in my backyard which has Bortle 4 skies. The telescope is always assembled and keeps collimation. If I had to assemble and collimate it each time and then take it apart at the end of the night I simply wouldn’t use it. I would scale down to a 12.5” provided it was also wheel out/wheel in and no setup. I will always keep my 10.1” but even though I admire the quality of the mirror I did once compare it to a 12.5” f6 telescope and the difference in brightness over the 10.1” was noticeable to the point where I just wanted that little bit more light that the 12.5” provided for the targets I was viewing. The 16” provides that extra light and some but I know I’d be happy with 12.5” provided it was a quality mirror. That’s just me and I know everyone is different.

If I ever go to a dark remote site I’d take a my Tele Vue 101 refractor on either a Gibraltar or Losmandy AZ-8 Mount. No electronics, no screens, no lasers just simple manual use of the mount.