View Single Post
Old 27-12-2021, 12:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
Martin,

Another thought, something I have not tried is connecting the original RJ port on the mount to the camera. By doing so, I would eliminate if the USB is creating the issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Steve
I don’t follow you regarding “camera to original RJ port on mount”

Set up should be as follows -

Mount Control
Mount USB2B port , USB2A to USB2B cable (5m maximum length) direct to Laptop USB port for EQMOD mount control ( no hand controller)

PHD2 Guiding ( Ascom Pulse Guiding recommended )
Guide camera USB3 cable direct to the Laptop ( max length 5m)

Common faults with EQMOD and PHD2

Power supply !!!! Are you running on mains or Battery ?? Try using a 12v power adapter plugged into mains like a Powertech 12V 7.5amp ( model no. MP3575 ) I’ve been using these on a EQ5 , HEQ5 , 2 x EQ6- R , 12” Goto dob and have been flawless for years and years

USB cables for your imaging and guide cameras , the only 5m long USB3 cable that has been flawless over 4 years has been the Startech Active USB3A to USB3B ( $190+ ea ) I’ve tried $20 to $60 USB3 cables ( different brands) up to 5m in length and they have all given me intermittent connectivity problems. Expensive ?? YES but they bloody work !!! If you buy one and use it for 5 years , that’s $50 a year . I’ve spent more on crappy cables that don’t work over a few months

USB cables for your mount control ( EQMOD) Use good quality USB2A to USB2B cable max 5m length

Baud rate , the baud rate for EQMOD when using a USB2 cable must be 115200
not 9600 !!!
Also ensure baud rate is checked in Device Manager > USB com port > Properties

USB power management ( check my procedure to check USB power management in Laptop )

Disable limits in EQMOD

Guide rate in EQMOD ( check my procedure in EQMOD for PHD2 guide rates )

Drivers
Ensure drivers for cameras are updated
Ensure Ascom is downloaded
Ensure EQMOD is downloaded correctly using EQASCOM

Establish a Base line
Don’t use your capture software NINA to launch EQMOD and PHD2
Open them manually
Start by connecting Laptop to mount via EQMOD Tool Box
( if using Stellarium for your planetarium) Open Stellarium and connect mount ( this will launch EQMOD control pad )
From mounts Home Position, test mount control by slewing to a Bright Star in the east up around 30 to 50 degrees , centre it and sync it , mount should be tracking on that Star at sidereal in EQMOD
Open PHD2 manually
Slew to location near celestial equator and just before the north meridian ( Declination 0 ) start calibration
Once calibrated, PHD2 should be guiding
Slew to another Star in the east up at 40 or 50 degrees and track / guide for an hour or so
If no issues , mount connections , cables , cameras etc.., are all ok
This establishes a Base line from which to continue testing
Next step would be your capture software NINA which I can’t help you with ( NINA may very well be the issue ??? )

There’s probably a million other things to check but this is a start

Hope it helps in some way

Cheers
Martin