View Single Post
Old 20-10-2021, 02:37 PM
AdamJL

Hi, Stéphane

I used to use a laptop with 2 USB-A ports and one USB-C port. Recently switched to a NUC and a Pegasus Astro Advance which has 4 USB-A ports (and USB-B to connect to a PC)
The NUC has 4 USB-A ports and 1-USB C port

-ASI2600MC is powered by the Pegaus, plugs into the NUC (USB-A)
-ASI290MM Mini is powered by and plugs into the ASI2600MC which has a USB hub built in
-Mount (EQ6-R) is powered by the Pegasus, plugs into the NUC (USB-A... if you have this mount, make sure you set the correct baud rate for the USB port you plug into)
-Sesto Senso 2 focuser is powered by the Pegasus, plugs into the NUC (USB-A)
-Polemaster, is powered by USB and plugs into the NUC (USB-A)

One power cable runs to whatever power source I'm running from (mains or battery).
Right now I'm at the limit of power on my Pegasus, which has 4 ports and 2 for dew heaters. I think it also has a power slot for a DSLR which would be great. You can get another Pegasus Astro unit with more power ports, but they're pretty expensive.

Or the suggestion by Marc, above, would be good as well. Very similar to the Pegasus.

With regards to cable management, I spent quite a while setting up the equipment, then measuring the cables I'd need, with some slack added. Sometimes you can't get the right length, so you have to do some creative looping. Or if you want, get a heatgun/hairdryer and make your own curled cables, which is fun

At some point in the future, I'm going to spend a couple of months making my own custom length USB cables, but that's a while off.

Good luck!

With regards to USB hubs, make sure they're powered. I know some have no problem running unpowered USB hubs, but you just never know when one will flake out.
I used to use a Microsoft Display Dock that I got with my old Lumia and it worked a treat. It's small, portable, and has a solid weight to it so it doesn't fly around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Display_Dock

Last edited by AdamJL; 20-10-2021 at 07:32 PM.