View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:43 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

HEQ5 Pro and PHD2 Guiding

Hi guys,

I recently got the HEQ5 Pro mount and have been using a 50mm guidescope and asi 120mm guide camera.

I was wondering how much movement on the PHD graph is ok?

I can drift align for 5 min using the DARV method. and the guiding seems pretty good, (within 1" or 2" either side so within 4" total.) Sometimes will peak to 4 but it corrects itself back generally. Doesn't happen often.

However say i move to a different target. (I use stellarium for this). The guiding graph starts to go a bit haywire depending on the object I'm looking at. for reference I've been taking some widefield shots of orion and eta carinae with dslr and lens at 200mm.

It will start to make huge corrections in dec, or the RA is not moving around the 0 point but instead is averaging around the -1" mark.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this? I don't think its a huge problem as the shots have still been pretty good. (at least compared to what I got with my homemade tracker with no guiding..)

Will try to post an example PHD2 graph but its on my other laptop.

But any info on what limits an acceptable graph should move between would be nice. gives me a reference to aim for when I'm guiding. (although I guess if the pictures are good it's fine right )