View Single Post
Old 23-01-2021, 07:38 PM
Rocket (Ed)

Focus Drive for Skywatcher Mak 127

I wanted to put a focus drive motor on my Mak 127, but the commercial options are expensive. I have a JMI motor focuser for my Meade SCT, but it doesnt easily fit the Mak focus knob. However, the hand control works with any DC motor. Here is a simple bracket, made from a bent and twisted aluminium strip, and a geared DC motor from eBay. The bracket mounts to the OTA via a lengthened bolt from the Vixen dovetail to the tube, and a bolt to one of the tapped holes on the dovetail, so no modifications are needed to the OTA or dovetail.
The motor couples to the focus knob with a GT2 belt and a toothed pulley on the motor. The toothed pulleys and belts are available cheaply from eBay, for use in 3D printers. I bought a 1 metre section of belt, cut it to length and joined it with a piece of bicycle inner tube and Selleys Power Grip adhesive. (There are a lot of discussions on the web about joining these belts). Alternatively, a belt of the right circumference is probably available on eBay.
The tension on the belt can be altered by washers under the Vixen dovetail, or if a wider aluminium strip is used, by pivoting the motor from the top hole, with a slot at the bottom. However, other than some slop in changing direction, tension doesnt seem critical and there is enough grip between the toothed belt and the rubber focuser knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Focuser_Parts.jpg)
205.1 KB110 views
Click for full-size image (Mounted_Focusser1.jpg)
184.4 KB116 views
Click for full-size image (Mounted_Focusser2.jpg)
179.9 KB140 views