Thread: Covid-19
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Don't misquote me. "extreme" risk aversion is what I find odd.

I'd be in that "risk" group. That said, almost everyone who has died of this this in Oz ...just two per million of population ...has a co-morbidity.

You can hide in a cave, but I see no unreasonable risk in taking a coastal walk, drive though a national park, looking through a 'scope in the middle of no-where, etc.

These harmless activities, but are now illegal for no good reason.

Guess that's where we will have to disagree. "some people" is not "all people" .

This is lazy draconian legislation. Sure, it helped the reduce case numbers in Oz remarkably low levels, but the reasonableness of many measures needs reviewing.
So you find extreme aversion to people dying in great numbers odd... interesting thought process I must say...

Unfortunately Peter, it is because of the actions of some, not all that these measures have been deemed necessary... I agree, many people will do the right thing & in fact are but, too many just don't give a sh..., apparently... same reasons we have many other laws... (which for the record I don't necessarily agree with either) but, they exist for those that don't do the right thing but, the intricasies of applying them to some & not others is pretty much impossible, especially in the situation we find ourselves in...

I also do agree that the current restrictions are somewhat vague & too open to intepretation by both the population & law enforcement. It was clearly necessary to put something quite broad in place & in a hurry but, it is time they better define what is or isn't permitted rather than leaving it open to the whim of whatever police officer decides to pull you over....

Sadly Peter, there aren't enough 'mature adults' in our population to make sensible decisions; I'm not disputing whether you would or wouldn't make the right decisions but, there has been & still is clear evidence that some folk just don't care... so, faced with the issue of too many people making dumb & careless decisions how exactly do you think they should police it?

Do we issue the 'mature adults' with a gold star so, they can do things that others may not?

Until such time as 'Everyone' takes this thing seriously & does the right thing, the laws & restrictions that have been introduced will remain however, a necessary evil...