View Single Post
Old 22-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Blackant (Ant)
Tassie Telescope Gnome

Thumbs up

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to say thanks for the two beginner telescope articles, they've really helped me choose my first telescope. I've fallen in and out of love with astronomy since I was a kid, and I've spent most of my time using binoculars.

A while ago I inherited a 114mm Skyrover on an equatorial mount off my uncle (he didn't like it either ) and what I though was good fortune actually nearly turned me off the whole hobby.

For me the sigh factor was huge, and I ended up putting it in the roof space and going back to using my binoculars. After reading your article, and getting a good tax return, it inspired me to give a telescope another go.

Not surprisingly it's an 8" Dobsonian from Bintel, and it is perfect for me. My mates call me Ant for a reason; I'm 165 cm tall and weigh 60 kilograms. I have no trouble carrying it in two trips over the child safety gate in the spare room, past kids, dogs and down the stairs to my backyard. With the fan it takes next to no time to cool down, and when the lens caps come off, the glorious sites that it reveals in my dark Huon Valley skies is truly awe inspiring

Kind regards

Ant