View Single Post
Old 19-10-2008, 01:19 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Sure Eugene, send me a PM and we'll arrange a time. We can check them during daylight hours and set collimation then. If you have a tripod they mount on, please bring that - else we'll see if they can be mounted on one of mine. It helps to have the binoculars rock steady to see what is going on.

His response is pretty "sus". So a barrel or both barrels unscrewed themselves and cross-threaded themselves during transport?

I have seen a cheap pair of binoculars where one barrel had been cross-threaded. Obviously no-one looked through them at the factory before they were shipped.

However, have a look and see if one or both barrels look to be on crooked? See if one will turn (undo) and turn it quarter turn by quarter turn for a turn or two and see if the view through the eyepiece changes. Probably not if a barrel is cross threaded, but maybe it will if one of the objective lenses just needs a rotation relative to the barrel.

I don't know zoom eyepieces in binoculars. Could be something funny happening in one of them?

Anywhay, happy to have a look.

Wait a minute - you said two pairs? Are both behaving exactly the same? Could always be a systemmatic error in the factory?

Cheers
Eric