View Single Post
Old 14-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Swartz (Nick)

Deal??? What am I missing

HI

Am just getting into the star gazing game and so far am loving it when clouds permit. I currently have a Saxon 150 Mak (F12), with my main thing being finding binary's and observing the planets. Have had this scope for about 6 months. My goal has been to get a complimentary scope for astrophotography and DSO in about 6 months from now. My intent was to get a SWBD120ED (F7.5), price is around the $2800 mark. All my research suggests this is an excellent scope at the price you pay for it.

However an apparent deal has just come up on Andrews and Astro Anarchy. With the 150ED (F8) undercutting this by some margin. Around the $2000 mark. Down from $3400

http://astroanarchy.com.au/telescope...her_ED150.html

I understand that I need to add a finder and diagonal to the 150, what are good options for these if I go down this path? What else will I need to add in the start up phase?
An EQ6-Pro mount is already in the budget. I have a Baader MkIV 8-24 with Barlow currently and this will get added to over time, with lower power eyepieces.

Is the 150 that much better a scope then the 120? To me logic states that the 150 should be better then the 120. Why the big price drop?

Thanks in advance have been a long time stalker on these pages and am learning all the time.

Nick