View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 07:54 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
The skywatched 72ED is perfectly fine, and you don't have to deal with import tax or having to deal with international warranty etc etc. You'll need a flattener but its not much of an issue. Mine mounts and guides fine on the star adventurer with a dslr or a cooled astro camera.
Oh come on, GST applies to all imported products, including the locally sourced Skywatcher 72ED..EU VAT does not apply to exports outside the EU, like to Australia. Reputable EU suppliers like TS have an EU standard return policy, this is not some Aliepress operator I am suggesting. Stop trying to scare people off better quality alternatives. Skywatcher does not publish info on the glass composition, in line with it's recent policy change, which pretty much ensures the 72ED is not using the equivalent of FPL-53. Yes you will need to buy a flattener for the 72ED, and get the backspacing sorted out for your camera.

If the ED72 is what you want, that is fine, but you did ask for opinions, and this Sharp star 71SDQ is in my opinion, a much better investment.