View Single Post
Old 24-09-2021, 05:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Regarding workbenches and stools; they require something that is quite scarce in many countries in that part of the world, trees large enough to
make them. Back in the distant past, what trees and bushes there were
were probably used as fuel for their fires. If you researched the subject, you
might find that the peoples from the forested areas of said countries do have
workbenches and stools. Just surmising, no actual knowledge of the subject.
raymo
I thought you were somewhat of an expert until you qualified your statements with "just surmising"... But I suspect trees are scarce as I have heard that in some places cow dung is used to fuel cooking fires...I often say to my daughter, because we have 10,000 trees on this place and probably more on the other place, that if we lived in India they would bow to us as we walked down the street..yet trees here are more of a curse because of the cost of clearing to make cow pasture.
If only I could sell each tree for $100 I would be rich... AND looking at videos from China where they gather anything and everything from twigs to huge logs you realise how different things are here... heck when I cleared the land for the observatory there were enough logs for two log cabins but all was just pushed into a heap where it sits until one day when it will just be burnt off.
Nevertheless it would seem there is an opportunity for exciting research into finding explanations for the absence of work benches and stools. And what can we take from the fact that for Australians there is just so much seating and tables...one rarely stops to think in depth about these matters.
Alex