View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
noswonky (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCORTEX View Post
This is very interesting. I actually started a new thread about this and this thread seems more apt.

Could you tell me your experiences ?

a) How good is the tracking - say Jupiter with a 12mm - how long does it
stay centred.
Actually I was viewing Jupiter just last night with my 12" auto-tracking SW so I can answer this.

I centered it with a 25mm eyepiece. Then a big cloud drifted across hiding the planet. So I left it tracking and came back 30 minutes later when the cloud had passed. Jupiter was still in the FOV - although it had drifted about half way to the edge of the field.

So the tracking is pretty good for visual use, but it depends on how accurately you level and align it. I level the base using a dual-axis spirit level that a got from Bunnings for a few dollars. Some wooden blocks under the legs for coarse adjustments and then I do the fine adjustment with some wedge-shaped rubber doorstops.

You have to then point the scope North (yes, even in the southern hemisphere) and at the horizon to give it a reference point. You can use the altitude scale on the scope to get it pointing at the horizon. To point it north I just do it roughly by sight. For example: Find the SCP using the southern cross and then point the scope the opposite way as near as I can by sight. It's good enough to track pretty well even if you're a few degrees out.

I would expect that any alignment error would have more adverse affects near the celestial poles than near the equator. Hence it tracks planets very well even with only a rough alignment.