View Single Post
Old 21-03-2022, 12:09 PM
Rod

Thanks Steve

Yes I have had it at the ASVs dark sky site once although there was only 2 hours of truly dark sky and I’ve used it at home for tests. That was all on the temporary mount shown in earlier posts. After some testing I removed the moonlite focuser shown earlier. It was a little redundant as all the focusing is done by the coma corrector. It’s been replaced with a kineoptics helical focuser I already had. I used it to get the position of the corrector right and then left it alone. All the focusing is done with the corrector’s threaded top.

The scope works well optically. Nice wide fields as expected. The only issue I’ve had is with the Explore Scientific coma corrector. The threads on the focuser section of the corrector are to me looser than they should be. This causes my heavy eyepieces to lean a little and this showed a single small spike on stars. A friend had a look and found if we adjusted the three locking screws we could minimise it’s size. I’ve added a little grease to the threads which has also helped. This issue is only noticeable when using a 20mm 100 degree ES eyepiece.

I’ve been surprised at the quality of the views at higher magnification with a 5 mm APM eyepiece. The Moon is very detailed and just fits inside the field.

I’m going to Heathcote this Saturday so will hopefully get a few hours dark skies to test everything out further.

Rod