View Single Post
Old 17-10-2021, 08:58 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitt View Post
So, if you adapted your Allan Key to suit then you must have found iOptron's method of securing the mount to the Pier fiddly?
When using the Adapter Plate, it’s a simple case of 4x bolts with easier access than iOptron mounting method. The mount is permanently fastened to the Adapter Plate via the two screws in the base of the mount. Its then a simple case of removing the 4x bolts and lifting the mount and adapter plate as one. A lot faster and nowhere near as fiddly.
I would call it somewhat fiddly, but not enough to rearrange my pier to be taking the adapter plate off the pier instead of the mount off the adapter. Even with a normal allan key I only find it about a minute or so of work to put the mount on the pier, just it is quicker and easier to start the bolts and run them down to finger tight with a straight ball head key.

I am thinking of buying a tripier for when we can get back out to star parties, I did have it set up to mount on the tripod from my old CPC925, but I remounted and sold that scope. I doubt I will ever top 100KG of load so I will probably buy the regular version not the 360, it is a fair chunk of money for what for me would be functionally identical, just prettier.