View Single Post
Old 12-12-2021, 07:55 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-AR127 View Post
I'll get the true cardinal marks on my fences all lined up to the hills hoist, I'll be able to work out where to look depending on my setup location. I've got a large yard with a big tree in the middle so I'm usually skirting the perifery.
I can already see why it took me so long to find TUC.
I do know to keep my compass well away from my EQ mount to, sends it wild.
Also SCP is only about 1° or 3° from true south in WA (l think). Makes things easy for SCP set up.
Hi Rod,
the other guys have the most accurate way of getting your bearings all sorted for you. I'm always wowed by the pool of knowledge here. If you're going to use your compass, you might need to correct it to true south if you haven't done so already. Take a look here for a calculator that can help to you calculate your offset from magnetic South: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/cal...ml#declination

You could also use the compass on an iPhone, but would first have to go into Settings --> Compass and turn on USE TRUE NORTH.

In my case, I'm ALT/AZ so being super accurate really doesn't matter that much. I use my iPhone when setting up. The other methods mentioned here would certainly be more accurate and are worth learning. For quick and nasty though, the extra methods I've just listed might be worth a go too (especially if you're just setting up for a quick view)