Thread: Dsi Vs Lpi
View Single Post
Old 17-05-2005, 10:11 AM
rumples riot
Who knows

I got rid of my LPI recently, well actually gave it away to a mate. The LPI is good to start taking images for planetary work, no good for DSO work though. It has its limitations in that it cannot take frames fast enough with the autostar software. You will need to download K3ccdtools if you get this program, so that you can image faster.

The DSI that I own has been out of its box once in the 7 months that I have owned it. It is suppoed to work fine on planets, but to this day I have not seen a single image of jupiter taken with one that I would consider to be good. All the pros use either the Toucam or a fire-i camera. The DSI is good for DSO's, on Cloudy Nights forum there are some people taking pretty good shots of DSO's

So this is what I think you should do. Buy the standard DSI, that way you can practice on DSO's and try your hand at planetary. If you want to do more planetary work buy the Toucam pro 2. That is the one I use and you can see the results that I get with it. (look in the solar system imaging section).

This way you will have two cameras specifically designed for two types of imaging. You never know you might be able to get the DSI to take great shots of the planets and then will not need the Toucam. However as Mike said there is not a camera that will currently do both well within this price range.

Hope this helps.