View Single Post
Old 29-07-2020, 07:23 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto84 View Post

Does anyone know if the Meade UWA or MWA are decent, dont see much of them in the Aussie online shops. Heard mixed reviews of the MWA, but that was a few years ago.
I have a set of Meade UWA, 20mm, 14mm, 8.8mm & 6.7mm they are superb in my opinion, including in my F5, 12" Dob. 14mm is a little soft though in comparison... The reason you can't find them in Australia is they aren't made anymore & the ones you can find overseas will simply be 'remaining' stock..

The ES, 82 degree FOV range are effectively the same EP, I have a 30mm version & again, superb.. the views are exceptionally expansive. Be aware though, these long FL, widefield EPs are exceptionally heavy... The ES I have weighs one kilogram & the Meade 20mm is not far shy of 1kg.

Can't comment on the MWA's, haven't tried them...

FWIW, I also have Vixen LVW's (22/17/13mm) which are exceptionally sharp across the field & the clarity is fantastic.. again, not made anymore, you will need to look for them secondhand.

My short focal length EPs are Vixen SLV's.. these can still be purchased new.. I love them, every bit as good as the Kokusai Kohki Fujiyama Orthoscopics I used to own with much more forgiving eye relief..

I'm sure TVs are wonderful eyepieces, I'm just not convinced they are necessarily 3 or 4 times as good... as their 3 - 4 x price tag suggests they should be...

My two cents...