View Single Post
Old 23-10-2014, 04:17 PM
phobos27 (Nick)

Auto Guider Guide Scopes

Hi everyone,

I have been starting to get serious with my AP and was thinking about purchasing my first Guide Scope as I can only do such a perfect polar alignment.

I have a few questions though before I even want to think about models. If I am not mistaken, these things replace your finder scope and are instead there own finder scopes with a CCD camera attached. (Check my signature for my set-up) You then need a computer to track the star which you have locked onto using a program. You then have another chord going to your mount to tell it where to track.

If someone could please clarify that, that would be good.

My budget is around $700 but is there any reason why some cost $150 while others are $500. Is that too much to spend, as it would be good to save some money as well to goto other things. I really don't know too much about these scopes/ cameras so any advice on how to use them what they do and which ones are good would be helpful.

Finally, if you need a laptop to run them, what do you do when you are in the middle of nowhere (no light pollution for example) and have no power and your battery only lasts half the night?

Thanks Nick