View Single Post
Old 25-07-2015, 11:39 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Well its the same data Mike so the only thing I can think of is the mask blurring has caused the effect you see. I'll check the RGB data as well to be sure. I don't think its anything new to showcase. I've seen a few images showing the extent of the galaxy around.
In the LRGB, although rather faint, there are several distinct faint features/arcs in the general area between the outer stream arc and the galaxy as well as on the other side of the galaxy above and right, these are not present in your B&W stretched version..? When the LRGB is guassian stretched there is a complete ring of faint material, have a go you'll see it. Extreme stretching a final LRGB will of course show up all the warts and I get that, who cares, I was only doing it to see what these seemingly new features I could see in the LRGB might be.

Please understand, none of this rather extreme manipulation is intended to detract one iota from what is an excellent image of M83 as presented (and the way it was intended to be viewed), I love looking for faint features, heck I have found my share of faint jets and vague extension no one else can see and you have the prefect instrument and imaging location to find them!

Mike