View Single Post
Old 25-07-2015, 10:56 AM
jase (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I think you are unnecessarily hard on your outfits capabilities, as this image shows and with that star stream showing up even in a short exposure, I think it could be a very useful galaxy shooter The other faint stuff you have there closer to M83's extremities, is all that real? It may well be but I can't find it in any deep shots including those in the link you supplied?

Lovely job

Mike
Thanks Mike! Nah, 1400mm FL is too short to do significant damage on galaxies unless I'm seeking stuff like star streams and the like. No such thing as one instrument that can do it all, unless you've got a multi-focal length system like Rick's Ceravolo. I bought the 12.5" RCOS for galaxy work. Unfortunately I can't mount both ASA and RCOS on the PME simultaneously. With focal length, there is magnification and there is really no substitute for it.

The faint stuff near M83 real? I just photoshopped it in
Yes, it is real. I wouldn't present it if it wasn't in the data. Attached is the heavily stretched luminance with colour overlay for reference. Took some layer masks to present it correctly in the final result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M83-extensions.jpg)
196.4 KB39 views