View Single Post
Old 21-05-2021, 12:34 PM
lunartic (Greg)

EQMOD connectivity issue

Hello Everyone

I'm having issues with getting EQMOD to recognise my AZ/EQ 6 GT mount. I have scoured threads across multiple platforms and am still unable to get EQMOD to recognise my mount. I am consistently greeted with the TIMEOUT error regardless of my approach.

Until now I have been controlling my mount and guiding through my handset which worked a treat for the longest time until the handset started 'crashing' , meaning that I was unable to use the handset and PHD2 was unable to interact with the mount. I replaced the handset and the issue resolved for a short period of time and recently the new handset is behaving as the previous one. I've replaced all cables, reinstalled drivers/software to eliminate any obvious issues to no avail.

This was the catalyst for me to finally bypass the handset and to control my observatory through EQMOD. I have followed every procedure I could find and have been troubleshooting the common issues people have. I have again replaced cables etc. in order to eliminate those issue and still can't get past the TIMEOUT error.

I run the COM test in the EQMOD setup set to 50 cycles and it never seems to cycle past 7 showing a minimum of 2 errors. I am not 100% sure what this test represent or how the information is utilised.

Basically, I am at the point where I feel it may be the serial port on the mount although I don't know how to test it as the handset works fine when connected to the mount on its own and only plays up when I use guiding or planetarium software. I can control my mount via Stellarium when I connect (no ASCOM), PHD2 guides well and is connected via ASCOM (connected through handset with synscan update cable).

I'm at a loss here and hoping someone may have an idea I haven't thought of or the technical knowhow to assess a potential bigger problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Maybe its important to note that once in awhile when I ASCOM connect in EQMOD Toolbox coordinates will briefly flash before the TIMEOUT error comes up?