View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 07:50 PM
SpaceBug (Tim)

Issue with EQDIR cable on NEQ6 mount

Hi,

I'm having issues connecting my mount to my computer using the EQDIR cable and EQMOD.

Basic problem is no connection to mount - cable appears fine in computer - it's all the proper FTDI cables even if homemade. Latest drivers etc. Designated COM port 3 or 4. But EQMOD doesn't see the mount.

Quick overview -

NEQ6 mount (serial hand controller port)

Dedicated astro laptop (Windows 10) with ASCOM 6.4, EQASCOM V2, PHD2, Backyard Nikon 2,

EQDirect cable is a homemade FTDI TTL-232R-5V serial to usb TTL converter.

Checked wiring 100 times (well at least 20 times) matches the descriptions in the EQMOD forums.

Also borrowed a friends EQDIR cable and having the same issues.

Latest drivers from FTDI website -listed as compliant with Windows 10

Scope works fine just using the hand controller but when I switch it out for the EQDIR cable and fire up EQMOD there is no connection detected on any COM ports. Even if I manually enter the COM port it doesn't detect either. I've checked the BAUD and other similar settings and they are all correct (9600) I've tried changing them and no change.

I've also tried various permutations of uninstalling sfotware and reinstalling, eg. ASCOM, EQMOD, Drivers, using older drivers, older versions of ASCOM and EQMOD etc. Etc.

I've checked the continuity of the pins in the serial port to ensure my soldering didn't melt or join anything and that isn't an issue.

Please can anyone give me another thing to try or another way to narrow down the issue?

Happy to buy a commercial cable but I don't know that it's really the cable at this point...