View Single Post
Old 22-07-2020, 02:38 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I've used various GoTo systems but not this one. However ...

• the scope must be on a hard, reasonably level, surface. If the grass allows the mount to move the system cannot compensate.
  • centre each alignment star in the main scope. Use the highest magnification you have. If you put the star well out of focus, so it is a large donut, it is easier to judge when it is in the centre of the field of view
  • I use at least 5 alignment stars to help average out errors, except with the Geminii II where I use 5 for the the east alignment and 5 on the west.
  • therefore you can't avoid learning the brighter stars and constellations. I can align my dobs (5 stars) in about 2 minutes
  • on a dobs I expect that your GoTo pointing error will be >10', so locate the object with your low power ep and then increase mag as necessary
  • don't rely on small internal batteries. The cold will kill them. Even with the Argo Navis (push to - no motors) I can't get more than about 4hrs from brand new batteries at my dark sky site in winter. With the Geminii a dying battery won't kill the scope but it will behave 'screwy'. I've spent some frustrating hours calling myself names before I found that the problem was the battery
  • it's easier to learn and practice this stuff by yourself rather than with an expectant audience looking over your shoulder
enjoy the journey
David