View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 01:22 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Jared

I made a parallelogram mount for the same set of binoculars. It's based mostly on one described at this website:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhm.vangastel...ocs/binocs.htm

I made some alterations to suit the materials I had at hand, eg. the swivel part uses a lazy susan bearing available at most hardware stores. The central attachment point I made out of several pieces of 19mm ash I glued together. I've attached a few photos below. What is missing is the cradle for the binoculars which sits on the right angled part at the end (nuts and bolts currently being used on something else). I made that out of some 25mm aluminium flats (again available from most hardware stores) and bent it to shape. It took a while and a bit of thinking and tinkering along the way, but was fun.

Something to think about though - although the mount makes the binoculars much more useable and I did use it for a while, I ended up getting a bit tired of continually craning my head back and shifting my chair around as I like to sit down when observing (I use a walking stick and can't stand around for too long). As well, you do need a very sturdy tripod - I ended up using a surveyor tripod which was another expense.

As an alternative I then tried a "binochair" approach which for me is far more comfortable and suitable . And I still use the tripod for other things. Here's a link where I described making the chair at Cloudynights:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...c=1&PHPSESSID=

The chair works well for me, but is not the steadiest, however I am very satisfied.

Anyway, good luck. It's not too difficult - just need a few basic tools: hack saw, electric hand drill, and a bit of patience when the dog bumps you whilst drilling...

All the best

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1010014.jpg)
19.9 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (P1010013.jpg)
38.2 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (P1010012.jpg)
62.3 KB26 views