View Single Post
Old 22-03-2022, 01:09 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Seems we're all ageing badly! I hope the obs turns out well. Cosy and comfy inside the house has a lot to like.

One minor tip: I found that it required my neighbour's help to mount the 10" CF truss newt on my obs pier + mount and so there it stays. It needs the height in order to peek over the obs walls to see SCP and low elevation work etc. Keep the obs walls as low as you can get away with, whilst having parked OTA clearance. The peaked roof might decide your parked orientation. You don't need to be dismounting scopes in the middle of the night to close the roof.

Since I often want to play with my other scopes, that's the reason for the veranda tripod with an az eq6. It sits at a much lower level than the obs pier/CEM60 arrangement and I have no problems whatsoever putting the fitted-out RC8 on or taking it off even in the middle of the night for storage inside the house.

Another "tip" is to put a side by side plate on the mount so you can accommodate the RC8/RASA (come on, you know you want one) on one side and have room for a refractor/guide scope on the other side. This will all minimise your lifting needs. It also gives a place to mount your NUC/Asiair in between. Oh, and a wonderful opportunity to disperse more of your retirement funds to the masses....

Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RC8 on plate.jpg)
157.1 KB55 views