Thread: Help with goto
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 06:05 AM
Malcolm

I found the handset to be clunky and a PITA to use. I use a SynScan WiFi dongle, the free SynScan app and SkySafari 6 Pro to run my three Goto dobs. I read somewhere that one handset version was buggy and users were rolling back to another version. Using WiFi there's no need to enter any data, the phone GPS does it all. Works on iOS now on a single device if that's your device type. I use SkySafari 6 Plus on an iPad and the Pro version on an Android.
Power supply should be minimum 2A, and 5A is better and a 13.8v output is better still. I use an SCA 4cyl jumper pack in the field for my dobs and a 240v-13.8v 12A transformer at home. I don't use cig lighter sockets and plugs, Jaycar bullet plugs give a better connection.

I suspect it's a handset fault and you're really better off going WiFi so you're not tied to a handset. Also, fit Bunnings leveling feet with timber spike nuts to the groundboard and a bullseye spirit level in front of the azimuth motor. Screw three 19mm thick hardwood blocks to the groundboard to accept the leveling feet threads. That way the feet threads will not go right through the groundboard. Put a bit of electrical tape on the drill bit as a depth gauge. :-)