View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 11:28 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Kevin,
I’ve had a full set of Powermates and adapters for a quite a few years now which I use primarily for visual in my 12” Goto dob and for Planetary imaging in my newts.
I did some experimenting ( DSO imaging ) during 2020 with a 2 x Powermate and my 8” newt under dark skies
I imaged a few brighter DSO targets namely Carina and Running Chicken nebula with 2 PM x 1000mm fl or 2000mm with 5 minute subs using my 2600MC at Highest Dynamic Range or Gain 0
I must admit the longer focal length using the PM at the same aperture (200mm ) effectively making my scope an f10 didn’t work that well. At 5min subs the frames were quite dim and after stacking an hour or so worth and processing , detail was evident but they had low contrast and brightness. I don’t think 10 min subs would have helped either , just puts more unnecessary risk on your sub quality in regards to tracking , guiding , passing cloud and satellite trails etc....
So I guess from my experimenting it didn’t prove very successful
Maybe a 10” newt with more aperture may prove better but it will still be a slow scope
I haven’t pursued it any further.
PM’s are excellent for visual and Planetary work , that’s what they were designed for

Hope the above helps

Martin