View Single Post
Old 26-05-2021, 05:25 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Give me an EH / HD / HR / HK / HT/ early Holden anytime .... !!

I can easily ' sit ' in the engine bay and work on the motor.

No computers ... just a set of ignition points / spark plugs . 1 x fan belt / an oil filter / air filter ..... and I can easily rebuild the Motor ( Pistons, Rings, Cam and Crankshaft Bearings , Valves) all by myself ( which I have done ) in my earlier years.

All parts can still be bought at Repco... Top VRS Gasket Set / Bottom Oil Pan Gasket Set / Water Pump Gasket ...all of which would set you back roughly $125.00.

Instead today, I have to go to the Mazda Dealership and pay some Mech' to service my Car ... a quick safety check of my Mazda 6 ...sets me back $320.00

I know the Mazda has a nicer ride than the early Holden .... it's a trade off between comfort with bigger expense to doing the work yourself on a much simpler car.

A quick service on the older Holden.... spark plugs / oil + oil filter / Air filter and a set of points .... doing it myself at no more than $60.00 for the parts, and I'm back on the road again for another 10,000ks.

Times certainly have changed .......!!

Sorry , I probably have gotten of the beaten track here .... just there are no chips / software driven devices eg: Apple Car Play / Sat Nav / Climate control Air Con ... etc

Today's cars, invariably have to go back to a Dealership for Servicing ...!! No more do it yourself .....!!

Col.

Last edited by FlashDrive; 26-05-2021 at 07:55 PM.