View Single Post
Old 30-06-2021, 07:45 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Use the planet - dial up the gamma to increase the contrast on the screen (and increase the brightness so you can see the planet again), then use the clouds on Jupiter, the Cassini division on Saturn, or the edge of the disc on the others to focus on.

I usually spend at least a couple of minutes before capturing a video just moving the focus knob a little bit forward, a little bit back, too far forward, too far back, wait and watch for a few seconds, move it a little more etc etc. After a couple of minutes, I know what I should be looking for to get the best focus I can, given my equipment and the seeing at the time. That way I know I'm at the best focus for the capture to come.

Since I don't have an electronic focuser, I have rigged up a piece of pipe insulation and one of my wife's long hairclip, which allows me to push forwards and backwards without introducing vibrations in the mount. An image of this arrangement is shown in this link.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...er/?p=10194236

In conjunction with Firecapture's Auto-align button, it holds the planet rock steady while I am focusing.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FC AutoAlign button.png)
80.1 KB67 views