View Single Post
Old 17-01-2009, 12:55 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Momento

We have done several books and calendars using Momento. Each major holiday we have somewhere we do a Momento book of it. Their books are fantastic quality, but you pay for it.

We usually get hard cover, with sleve and embossing. Pages range from 60 - 80 for what we've had done. Price is usually around the $150 - $180 mark.

Their printing and book making quality is excellent really feels like a real book of high quality. The image quality is great, although the saturation is slightly lower than what I sometimes expect. If you compare the pictures to a magazine they are not as saturated but are higher resolution/quality. Overall we are very happy with them.

Momento's editor is quite good, though has its share of bugs. They regularly do new versions so it's always improving. It is quite resource hungry and for a book of 80 pages and 2gig of photo's it takes some time to load, and then a little time to switch to a not recently viewed page.

One thing I wish is that we could buy from Momento a PDF copy of our finished book (without watermark) for electronic storage & sharing.

Office Works

I have had one photo book done at Office Works, I thought I'd give them a shot for an astro one. It was significantly cheaper than Momento but significantly lower in quality. It was soft cover that I got from them, and felt somewhat like printed A3 pages made in to a book. Glossy, but digitally printed as compared to Momento's which feel like a real book. The Office Works one cost me about $60.

The editor software for Office Works is very average and the main reason I don't get more cheap books done by them. My biggest problem with it is that you cannot insert a new page, only add them on the end! So if you want to put a new page at position 6/40 you would have to manually copy content from page to page after adding a new page at the end! How rediculous! That one feature might make enough of a difference that I would use them more for cheaper books.

Roger.