View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 12:31 AM
ecuador

"Hop" polar align on iOS

Hi. I develop the (quite popular I am pleased to say) iPhone/iPad app Polar Scope Align Pro. I am always trying to improve polar alignment for all users, and from the feedback, it seems that the S. Hemisphere is usually a struggle (that darn SCP area is so empty of bright stars) so that many users end up using the app's "rough" daytime alignment tool and have to do drift alignment if they want more.
I recently implemented a Push-To functionality on the app and included a "hop to" option, where you first manually find a bright nearby star to calibrate your phone's gyro & compass before pointing to a target, and it got good user reports, as a calibrated compass seems to have an accuracy of half a degree or less despite interference, which is actually quite a useful accuracy.
You might see where this is going. I am thinking of adding a "Hop Polar Alignment" function to the app. If you can't see σ Oct in your Polar Scope, perhaps you can see β Hyi, or even Miaplacidus, Atria etc. The app will give you a list of stars that are above the horizon and up to say 30 degrees or so from the SCP, you choose one, target it with your polar scope (or your green laser for some mounts with a laser finder like the MSM), hit sync on the app and the familiar daytime alignment tool will start, but with a calibrated compass.
I thought I'd gauge interest, especially if some people might want to beta test it, as the weather is miserable here in the UK and I don't see me trying things outside for a while.
TIA