View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 07:55 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
Hi all,

I’ve been given the green-light by the aesthetics committee to build an observatory in my front-yard. It’s a challenging place to build but I think I’ve found a spot. I checked the NSW planning laws and from what I can understand (which is no easy thing) any structure has to be at least 900mm from the boundary line. Unfortunately due to the limited space this would scupper my plans. The structure would basically be a ROR garden-shed (so it doesn’t stand-out). I’m probably looking at 5-6sqm mtrs of decking with the structure on-top.

So my question is what have other people done? I’ve seen on the forum that some people have theirs pretty close to the boundary line (certainly less than 900mm). What options (other than relocating the obs or moving) do I have?

Rene
Check with your local council , they usually review and approve all DA and BA for new , additions and alterations on private land
Although a garden shed (ROR )may not require specific distances from boundary lines as it’s not a permanent structure ie : it can be moved
Also easements may come into play as well , you can’t build or place structures over them in most cases
Local council is your first call I’d say