View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 08:33 AM
gregbradley

The desiccant may need to be dried out. We have had a lot of rain and heavy humidity so I would not be surprised if you are getting frost on your sensor.

Frost disappears when you turn the camera off so when you are looking at it during the day you won't see any.

But frost appears in images like weird noisy area in the image that usually grows as it forms and disappears gradually if you turn the cooling off.

It may not be it but its a possibility.

Is it possible your camera has had a knock so the sensor's orthogonality has changed? So it might be tilt?

Wonky stars don't have many causes:

1. Poor collimation.
2. Coma. stars elongate towards the corners.
3. Tilt.
4. Out of focus.
5. Bad tracking (eggy).
6. Pinched optics.
7. Too great a thermal difference between the primary mirror and ambient air temps.

Do you get wonky stars when you do test exposures after focusing?

Try manually focusing as perhaps your autofocuser is not actually getting it to exact focus. I have some scopes that give triangular stars when a bit out of focus but perfectly round when tightly focused.

I wonder if the fact we've had so much rain in the last 9 months has had a deleterious effect on your mirrors. Do these glasses absorb some moisture over time if continually subjected to extremely moist air?

Could a lens in your corrector be loose?

Greg.