View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 01:17 AM
wooleybull (MICHAEL)

Meade damaged optics and optical alignment

Hi all after 7 months of frustration trying to get a decent image with my second hand Meade LX200GPS 10" I have rectified the problem, both mirrors were damaged! Mead were prepared to sell me me a new mirror set for $900US plus shipping but went silent when I asked how to align them! information that no one seams to have, a question I have asked in many groups! so I decided to get the optics recoated locally, I marked everything as it came out. the mirrors came back and I put it all back together using a laser to check alignment and of course it was no where near the centre of the primary and pointing to the inside of the baffle tube. (don't use a laser it wont work) to cut a long story short I incrementally moved the primary and realized that wherever I put it the laser beam didn't change. I reassembled it again and done a daytime colimitation, after a bit of trial and error with the secondary holder position in the corrector plate It looked ok! in poor seeing I did a star colimitation and it looks good. the primary is no where near the position that it came out, so I don't thick it matters how it goes back in! hopefully I can post the image of Jupiter i did tonight, it is 20 times better than the images I was getting before and should be even better when colimitation is fine tuned. Seeing tonight was poor 2 and 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jup110921.jpg)
31.5 KB81 views