View Single Post
Old 23-11-2021, 11:16 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
Are you referring to the 2 top and bottom chrome thumb screws located on the rear mid section of the focuser ( the top one is a tensioner which allows heavier eye pieces or heavier cameras to stop slipping down whilst rotating focuser and the other is a clutch to hold the focuser stationary irrespective of rotating the focuser knobs.
If so, the top chrome grub screw I tighten as necessary to stop my heavy ZWOASI2600MC from slipping down and the bottom I leave loose.
The EAF focuser essentially just replaces your fingers rotating the focuser knob

Attached are my notes on setting up the EAF focuser to my GSO 6” and 8” newts plus some more pics of my 8” newt set up

NB: The most difficult part of the whole set up is drilling out or enlarging the existing EAF alloy coupling hole to fit on your focuser shaft . It must be done carefully and horizontal with the correct size drill bit ( I think 4.5mm ) otherwise if the hole is to big the opposing grub on the coupling won’t tighten up enough and you will get slippage and if it’s not drilled accurately ( or on a bad angle ) the coupling could snap under gimbal rotation.I wrapped two turns of pvc tape around the coupling and used my small bench vice. My wife helped me to line up the drill NSEW. You only drill into the coupling just shy of half way too. Apart from that , the rest is fairly straightforward
Good luck
My EAF focusers on both rigs have been working perfectly.

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ZWO EAF focuser to GSO newt .jpg)
180.9 KB132 views
Click for full-size image (ZWO EAF focuser .jpg)
176.7 KB103 views
Click for full-size image (9C0E711B-A021-4CB5-B89A-EBA42C5E8A61.jpg)
180.1 KB136 views
Click for full-size image (F670BAAF-DAC1-4C0D-A71F-300686EA642B.jpg)
180.9 KB103 views
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZWO EAF Focuser to GSO dual speed Crayford Focuser on Newtonian.pdf (63.9 KB, 159 views)