View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 12:38 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Nik (and Chris), I have to chime in and say that I really don't believe this to be the case. I think imaging time for colour images is roughly equal (perhaps even quicker with mono), especially when the Luminance layer is well developed. A good set of filters (even my basic ZWO ones) are parfocal, or close enough to parfocal that it doesnt matter for 99% of people.

I'm not saying this because I'm team mono and want everyone on my team, but to let people know that this is a non-issue. The way it goes (if I am imaging a galaxy from the backyard) is I focus in Lum, I set an imaging routine in APT and press go and walk inside binge watch something on tv. I almost always set the routine to run vertically, ie, switch filters each sub (which is less than 1 second), so even if clouds come over an hour or two in, i still have a complete dataset to play with. This also negates the differing seeing as the targets moves through RA, metnioned by Chris below.

Don't agree sorry Mono easily doubles acquisition time for the amount of data collected.