View Single Post
Old 20-04-2020, 04:27 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
That sounds fun, retro fitting the Meade focuser to stepper motors.
DC motors never cut the automation.
Well, if I bypass the motor entirely, and just connect to the drive shaft with the EAF I have, I think it may be doable with maybe only drilling a single hole in the microfocuser (and something to keep the bracket mounted).
The ZWO EAF has a coupler (which I didn't use with the 80ED) which has the same 5mm shaft diameter as the microfocuser drive gear. I think I can get that to work. Total spend will probably be close to $0 as I've got pretty much all the things I need.
Although, I don't have a drill press. Maybe I should buy one to drill that single hole?
I've got to measure the overall backfocus though - will probably need to get an extension tube anyway. It comes down to how rigid a connection I'm going to get I suppose.

Quote:
Treat yourself to a Moonlite or similar and save all the fuss you will have with DIY.
It's just too expensive. I get it - It's just so much more than it's worth - like $1000-1500 at the low end based on the various ones I've seen around.

Quote:
I'm curious of the issues you are having with your current Meade mount. I ask as I have a 10" LX200GPS on a Milburn wedge too. Is it GPS related or something else? Or are you over it and definitely going down the EQ option.
I've had nagging problems with guiding in DEC in particular and just general annoyances with it in imaging. There have been a bunch of physical problems with it, which I'm spending time and money throwing at it. Which I don't mind, longer term, but at the pace that I can work on it and test the fixes, I've decided to give it a break this season, and just actually image on a mount I've got working. Funny part is that the EQ6 was supposed to be my "travel scope", but I have been more productive with that in 3 months than I have been in 15 years with the LX200GPS.
I'll probably put it back together again in the future (I just bought the Buck's gears but hadn't installed them yet!)