View Single Post
Old 18-04-2020, 10:46 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Electronic Focusing with an SCT

Given some of the problems I'm having with my 10" LX200GPS Mount, I'm going to try and de-fork it and run it off my EQ6 Pro as an experiment. I know reversing the process is going to be a tiny bit fiddly, but the alternative is to fight with the mount for months and I'm not really up for that at the moment!

When I was imaging with it, I could use the microfocuser, but after deforking that won't be an option, plus, I'd ideally be looking to automate the focuser as I don't want to be going in to the dome at all (it's already very tight quarters as it is).

I currently have an EAF on my 80ED, and it works great. It's dialled in with SGP and works all night long to keep focus runs regularly through the night.

What's the general consensus on the best way to adjust focus on the SCT (for imaging). Obviously I get it as close as I can with the course control, but what are COST EFFECTIVE options?

So far my research has come up with:
- Crayford/R&P focuser mounted to the back of the SCT somehow and the options of:
--> Arduino based stepper motor kits (looks interesting)
--> EAF Kit on the Crayford/R&P setup (a bit more expensive but robust in my experience)

- Frankenstiening the Meade Microfocuser (not really keen on that)

- Super expensive retail offerings (These seem to run $1500-$4500 depending on what colour they are painted )