View Single Post
Old 25-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I manually review ( visual observation) my captured FTS subs using ASTAP prior to stacking in DSS
I open the first frame and zoom in to around 150 to 200% and adjust histogram to achieve good resolution , brightness and contrast then initially check star size and shape for bloating , irregularity or tails etc.. on 2 or 3 larger stars in the field of view as I joggle through each sub
I pick up subs affected by high cloud, guiding issues etc.. then record those to be discarded
Then I zoom out to normal frame view then joggle through each sub to check for satellite trails, passing Aircraft and other gremlins.All affected subs are then discarded.
I generally do my own grading of “borderline” subs based on experience
Most of my imaging sessions ( 2 hours up to 8 hours ) I’m discarding only 5 to 10% of the captured data.I try to avoid imaging under patchy clouded skies etc... too frustrating
This manual reviewing system seems to be time consuming ,laborious and deficient but I can review say 60 subs in a few minutes once data is loaded with a high level of confidence in the quality of the data ready for stacking. DSS then will register and stack the reviewed data based on the best 90 or 95%.
This system has worked fine for a long time , might be old school but it works fine

Cheers
PS I used a similar system years ago when I started out in AP using a DSLR ( so reviewing CR raw files ( subs) instead of FTS files now )