View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 01:19 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Thanks a lot Chris It's a fabulous observing spot, magnificent by day and magnificent by night, the attached photos (Taken by my guest astroimager and mate, Alex Marziano) are simple single 25sec exposures processed in an attempt to capture, as accurately as possible, what it actually looks like to the naked eye up there. They are the distant lights of the small southern NSW town of Cooma, the gateway to the Snowy Mountains, 56km away, near the horizon there Already planning, negotiating and designing the new observatory, aim at this stage is to build the new observatory in the first half of next year

Mike
Thanks very much for posting the sample nightscape images Mike - they really do give a sense of how dark your sky is and I am very envious of your position! In late May and after sunset, I walked the 9 km back from the summit of Mt Kosciuszko to my car at Charlotte Pass, and had a beautiful clear dark sky all the way. I imagine your sky would be similar. I estimated the apparent temperature at the summit was approaching -20 C which I was dressed for, but having my outer mitts off for photography was painful! I'm sure that your new observatory will incorporate a warm room...

Cheers, Chris