View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 07:58 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
There has been a lot of good discussion here, but it's also worth mentioning that in the really wide EP's (like 100 degree apparent field of view), you kind of need to turn your head to see the entire view. For me there's a sweet spot at around 68-82degrees where I can keep still at the eyepiece rather than swiveling to take it all in.

Markus
You may not be aware of it, but with anything over 60°, you are turning your head to look at the edge with direct vision.
The small amount of head rotation goes without notice under 70°, but you should have seen the innumerable on-line complaints about 82° eyepieces 20 years ago and more because you had to tilt your head to look at the edge.
So many more people have 82° eyepieces today and have had them so long that most don't even notice the head rotation.
That occurs with 100° eyepieces, too. After 14 years with 100° eyepieces, I don't even notice the head rotation any more--it just seems normal.
I can see that might be a negative thing for some.

Personally, I find the 78-82° area to be about optimum between comfort and large field of view. But the 100° eyepieces have their advantages--especially above 200x in an undriven dob.