View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Lewis,

I'm facing the same problem with my TEC140 and Trius combination. Mind you with my G2-8300 camera I don't have an issue. But, the Trius with the extra sensivity in blue/violet/UV is a problem. I'm using a Baader blue filter which transmits to 380 nm.

So far I have tried the Hutech IDAS LP (cuts around 410 nm) and the Baader Semi Apo. The Hutech certainly helps and the Baader helps more. So far my tests are very preliminary but I believe the overall colour balance is a bit better using the Hutech and the Hutech transmits somewhat more light in blue and other frequencies. But stars are much tighter with the Baader. I think the Semi-Apo is probably overkill. The Baader Fringe might be just as good and not cut as much light at other freq. compared to the Semi-Apo. I also have two filters coming from Astronomik (two mounted Schott filters (GG420 and GG435), and the Baader Fringe Killer. Once I have all the filters it should be straight forward to test for the best. I will have all of them in a single filter wheel and can do direct comparisons.

Your refractor probably has a different correction to the TEC140 so I have no idea if my results will help you. But stay tuned!

Peter

Also preliminary, but in blue using the Hutech or Baader it looks like overall exposure would need to increase by 40%+ to reach the same level of saturation.