View Single Post
Old 20-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Peter,

I have a 2.5x powermate which I used to use a lot with my first refractor when I only had a few eyepieces.

I used it a large number of times with a Meade 6.7mm UWA EP on my 80mm triplet to view Saturn & for some lunar viewing at high magnification.

Whilst subject to viewing conditions, I found the views in general to be quite exquisite. It allowed me to push my 80mm pretty hard magnification wise with what eyepieces I owned at the time.

I've subsequently used a 2x barlow, not even close viewing quality wise...

These days, and a number of years (& credit card bills) later, I have a largish collection of eyepieces so, I tend not to use it so much.

I am however planning to use it in my imaging train, particularly for planetary imaging.. haven't done so yet so can't comment directly on how good or bad it will be but, from what I have read, it should do a damn good job...

So, if you are looking to minimise expenditure on eyepieces, I would say go for it.. if you're looking for it's usefulness in AP, from what I have read, I'd again so go for it...

Keep an eye out in the classifieds, they come up every so often, (2x, 2.5x, 4x & 5x powermates) at pretty reasonable prices. Just be aware, the 2.5 & 5x are 1.25" only.

Cheers