View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:31 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Just a suggestion. Would it perhaps be better to use shorter bars and arrange the array with 2 lenses mounted on a single rail down the bottom and another bar over the top with the 3rd lens mounted centrally ? My thought is that the entire array is then closer to the mounting dovetail and as such has better weight distribution and less chance of flexure between the outer 2 lenses.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

That's a noble idea (lazy text diagram follows)...
__O__
O....O

and certainly would be good at reducing the moment transferred to the mount saddle, but unfortunately would only work with smaller diameter lenses as the distance between the bottom of the dovetail slide in the NEQ6 saddle and the NEQ6 RA axis housing is approximately 160mm. Even if I discarded the mounting plates and saddles that I intend to use on the 3-way side by side losmandy type bar, I would still need approximately 230mm not including lens hood to suit the diameter/lens foot mount of the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 lenses let alone the slightly larger 600mm f/4 lenses.

Along the same lines of minimising the transferred moment, that your idea suggests, if there were 4 lenses, one could build a zig zag type of mounting bar for the 4 lenses: 2 on either side for balance, either right side up or inverted, sort of ...

_O_O_---- _O_O_

Or downsize to 2 lenses. It would all be a good challenge to perfect, especially with adjustement, but for the moment I will try it as simple as possible to put a peg in the ground.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 09-11-2019 at 01:07 PM.